Starting the second draft

So draft one is complete, and the sculpting of draft two is underway.  Having shocked myself that I have actually managed to get this far, the learning curve is still steep. There are huge swathes of passages where I actually don't like the style of writing, so the correction of that feels a bit like psychological sculpting of my words.

Some elements of my abandoned first opening three chapters still haunt part of the text, so that has required editing.  Adding subjectivity to describing paragraphs seems to have taken up a lot of the last couple of days.

I've also realised that where I am dealing with three orphans as the main leads, I have no inner dialogue about abandonment, being adopted or any of the other usual "family" hang-ups one would associate with an orphan.  So this is being addressed where it is appropriate to do so.

I keep getting ideas for book two, so I am having to reign myself in and focus on the book in hand.  It's rewarding to know I have at least one more book in me (And the gestation of a third), but I am having to be tough on myself.

I do know I will do more preparatory work on book two than I have done for this one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Style and voice

Quest two complete

Demotivated.